Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc.
The Mobile Mechanic reports to the Regional Asset Manager. The technician is responsible for repairing and maintaining mechanical equipment by conducting quality control analysis to evaluate performance while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards. The Mobile Mechanic must possess a valid driver’s license and knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
This position operates under flexible parameters. Its primary goal is to achieve excellence in all facets of mobile equipment maintenance providing the highest quality of services safely, effectively and efficiently.
- Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
- Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Repair and replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery and equipment.
- Repair and maintain the operating condition of industrial production and processing machinery and equipment.
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Operate newly repaired machinery and equipment to verify the adequacy of repairs.
- Record repairs and maintenance performed.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturers' specifications.
- Clean, lubricate, and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment and vehicles.
- Read and understand operating manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions to determine required repairs, using engine diagnostic equipment such as computerized test equipment and calibration devices.
- Special Projects
- Provide assistance throughout the yard as needed.
- Performs special projects as assigned.
Specific Other Responsibilities (Regional, by Location, Compliance):
This position provides mobile maintenance services for Pick-n-Pull stores and Metals Recycling facilities in California and Nevada. The incumbent will perform pre-maintenance services and repairs ensuring downtime is reduced and expenses minimized.
Internal Control Responsibilities
Supports the Company’s Internal Control process which includes understanding, communicating, and complying with defined internal controls as well as suggesting and making modifications to the policies, procedures, and controls to better relate to the business.
Communicates upward problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, or other policy violations or illegal actions.
This position does not encompass any supervisory responsibilities.
Direct contact with Asset Manager, Operations Managers and production and maintenance personnel. Communicates via face-to-face interaction.
This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, and face shields must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards. Travel is not required for this position.
Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. Work load may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Extra hours may be required, sometimes on weekends, weekdays, and holidays.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions
Ability to: stand for up to 12 hours a day; lift and carry up to 100 pounds occasionally; crouch or bend at the knees occasionally to increase visibility; stoop or bend at the waist occasionally to increase visibility; reach at arms length frequently or overhead occasionally; twist and turn at the neck and trunk; walk frequently on uneven ground; handle and grasp tools and parts continually; communicate by speech and hearing continually. Visual acuity needed for close detail work. Mental dexterity needed as Mechanic will work independently while demonstrating attention to detail and continuous awareness.
High School diploma or GED Certification required. 5 years of experience assisting skilled trades persons in the repair and maintenance of heavy equipment required. Candidates with an Associates degree in Heavy Duty Truck or Heavy Equipment Repair and 2 years of relevant experience may also be considered. This position requires possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive an automobile.
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.